Being a new parent is exciting, but let’s be honest - it can be a little overwhelming! This time of great joy may also bring feelings of uncertainty and not knowing what to do. Here are five tips from a mom of 6 for new parents to help make things a little easier:
- Take care of yourself. As a new parent, you'll be busy caring for your newborn, but it's important to remember to also take care of yourself. Make sure you're getting enough rest, eating well, and finding some “you time”!
- Ask for help. Don't be afraid to ask friends, family, or a professional for assistance. There are so many people that are willing to help and want to help, but you have to ask! This could be something as simple as having someone watch the baby while you take a shower or getting help with household tasks. It's important to remember that you don't have to do everything on your own.
- Trust your instincts. As a new parent, you'll have a lot of questions and may feel unsure about what to do. A lot of advice will be thrown your way! Remember that you know your baby better than anyone, and trust your instincts. You are the best judge of what your baby needs!
- Organization is key. Being organized will make everything easier and lead to less frustration. It will also allow you to have more time for the things that matter ~ like all of those baby snuggles!
- Establish a routine. Having a routine can help both you and your baby know what to expect and can make your days more predictable, manageable and enjoyable. It will also help you feel more organized and in control. Your baby will be more comfortable with a routine and this will likely allow you to get more sleep!
As a new parent, it's normal to feel a mix of emotions and to have questions. After all, parenting doesn’t come with an instruction manual! Remember to take care of yourself, ask for help when you need it, trust your instincts, get organized and establish a routine. These tips can help make the transition to parenthood (a/k/a “the most rewarding job ever”) a little easier! And, don't forget to check out our website for Jet and other products designed to help make life easier for new parents!
Tricia Meyer is Co-Founder of The Clever Baby, mom of 6 kids and an award-winning entrepreneur and lawyer, named on Forbes Next1000 list and recognized by Crain’s Chicago Business as one of the most influential female lawyers in Chicago.