New Parent Survival Guide
Being a new parent is exciting, but let’s be honest - it can be a little overwhelming! As a mom of six, I know what you're going through. Parenting doesn’t come with a manual and it can be challenging to care for a newborn while managing everything else. That’s why I’m excited to share these tips that have helped me along the way!
Here are five tips for new parents to help you navigate this exciting and sometimes stressful time with a little more ease:
- Establish a routine. Having a routine can help both you and your baby know what to expect and can make your days more predictable, manageable and enjoyable. Your baby will be more comfortable with a routine and this will likely allow everyone to get more sleep!
- Organization is key. Being organized will make everything easier and lead to less frustration. It will also allow you to have more time for the things that matter - like all of those baby snuggles!
- Ask for help. Don't be afraid to ask friends, family, or a professional for assistance. There are so many people that are willing to help and want to help, but you have to ask! This could be something as simple as having someone watch the baby while you take a shower or getting help with household tasks. It's important to remember that you don't have to do everything on your own.
- Give yourself grace. Some days you’ll be sleep deprived and feel like you’re in a cloud, and other days you’ll have pep to your step and it’ll be smooth sailing, so keep that in mind on the hard days. Know that tomorrow is another day. Try to rest on those days you don’t get much sleep and give yourself a little grace!
- Trust your instincts. As a new parent, you'll have a lot of questions and may feel unsure about what to do. A lot of advice will be thrown your way! Remember that you know your baby better than anyone, and trust your instincts. You are the best judge of what your baby needs!
Hopefully these tips can help make the transition to the most rewarding job ever a little easier. With the right mindset, you’ll be able to put the challenges into perspective and enjoy these precious moments with your baby!
Tricia Meyer is a serial entrepreneur, business lawyer and mom of 6! Tricia is the Co-Founder at The Clever Baby. The Clever Baby recently launched its first product Jet - a patented, innovative teether and dispenser all-in-one, and is committed to developing clever products for parents and creating magical moments for babies and kids. Tricia has been featured in many publications including Inc., Crain’s, Chicago Tribune, NBC Chicago, American Express OPEN Forum, and more! Tricia has also received 30+ awards over the course of her career including being recognized by Crain’s Chicago as one of the most influential lawyers in Chicago and by Forbes on the Next1000 list! Learn more about The Clever Baby at www.thecleverbaby.com.